Weather Widget

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Binding a locker hooked rug

Sunday, August 28, 2010:

When I started this rug, I didn't know how much fabric I would need. I began hooking in the middle and worked my way out.  After buying more fabric and getting almost finished with one side, I decided to bind it.  I did not clip my backing because I don't like for the threading to break and I believe it is more difficult to stitch and hook a small doubled fold.  So I folded over about 10 rows.

Then I took my cotton cording, sewing needle with quilting thread, and stitched my cording to the top edge of the last row, keeping the holes in line. When I got to a corner, I trimmed what was necessary to not have so many layers to hook through.  After I had my cording stitched all around, I then used cotton yarn, two strings, and whip-stitched the edges over the cording.  I went into each hole twice so it would cover well.  It is important to keep your yarn untangled so it will cover good.  Occasionally you may need to run the yarn through the hole three times.  If you see any bare spots when you're done, you can take a single strand of yarn and work over those spots, burying the tails under the back loops.

I do not cut my yarn on both ends, but thread the cut ends through my needle, pull it through my backing, and run the needle through the loop at the end of the yarn; this way, there is less ends to work in.  When coming to the end of my yarn, I work the ends under the loops on the backside of the rug.  

After I finished wrapping the cotton yarn around all edges, I then hook a row snug against the bound edge. This helps keep my fabric squares in line.  I will hook 4-5 rows before trimming off the extra backing that I had turned up initially.  So far I think this is a good way to do it, at least for me.  

These pictures are not exactly in the right sequence, so I will label each one.

 The cotton cording sewn onto the top edge of the canvas.
When I come to the end of my yarn, I work it through the back looks to hide the ends. Clip off the extra.
I keep my yarn untwisted as I wrap. 

.


This is where I am hooking two rows of fabric as I continue binding.




.


This shows the loop at the beginning to run your needle through to prevent so many ends.


Bound edge with two rows of hooking.


I have to say I get so excited when I'm nearing the end of the binding.  This was a good experience, figuring out how I wanted to do the binding.  I wanted to add it to my postings so I can refer to it in the future and also it may be helpful to someone else.  

NOW, I must get dressed and go to the grocery store before Renee' and I starve!   This rug hooking could be a detriment to our health! 

P.S.   If anyone reading this sees something I need to do differently, please leave me a comment.  This is my first time binding a rug. 
/Deb

3 comments:

Julia said...

My goodness, woman, you are a hard worker when it comes to rug hooking. You've got it all figured out and you started whipping before you're done hooking and I only whipped mine but haven't started binding it yet.

The heat is too much for me today. It makes me feel exhausted and now I've got to go feed my calves. I dug a bit in the iris garden and had to come in, the sweat was dripping in my glasses and I couldn't see what I was doing. I've neglected dividing my purple irises and they were so crowded that they didn't do as well this spring. JB

Deb said...

Purple iris - they were my Nannie's favorite flower, or at least that is what she had in her yard - my happiest childhood memories! If I lived close to you, I would take the ones you thin away.
Yes, you can tell I don't have a social life, just home and Renee' and my dogs. So, my hobbies make up the majority of my time, while I listen to audiobooks, and sometimes watch tv.
I really like the way the edges/binding worked out on my rug. I think it looks good and it feels very sturdy. I should have it finished in maybe two weeks, on the floor in time for colder weather.
/Deb

Unknown said...

Puede ser en espaƱol ?