Weather Widget

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Various interests this weekend

Sunday, September 26, 2010:
I have enjoyed my weekend very much. In about 2006 I started writing a book, or trying to.  I have started writing a couple of books, all going nowhere.  But this one seems to be possible.  So when I was having my coffee Saturday morning, I thought about it and realized a solution to one of my problems.  Since I can't work on the book constantly, when I do start back to work, I can't remember what I have written, so I have to start at the beginning and then, by the time I get to where I need to write more, time is up or I'm tired.  So, now I am going through the book, editing a little as I go but most importantly I am making an outline of the major and some minor details of each chapter.  That way, when I start to work again, if it is much later, I can just read my outline and start from where I ended. 
Writing a book is one thing I have always wanted to do but have never accomplished. I'm surely not doing it to become wealthy, not even to be published really (although that would be a wonderful surprise!).  I just want to do it and hopefully it will happen.

I worked a lot on my #3 LH Curves rug.  I should be able to finish it this week. I've wrapped the edges. It is so colorful. I will post a picture when I finish. Also, I made a visit to the fabric store and bought several yards of various blue fabrics.  I thought about buying old bed sheets or other items from yard sales or bargain stores and dying them different colors. I have never dyed fabric, so this would be something I need to learn how to do. It would make my rugs fit in the "green" craze to today!  Maybe I could cut all the cloth in strips and dye them different colors.  I'll have to give this some more thought though. I sure like hooking all the colors of fabric I buy.

One other thing I have started is handwriting letters. I don't know if you read my earlier post about the "nothing and now" - but I decided it would be a good thing to do. I love the old ways of doing things, pottery, hand quilting, rug hooking, and now even letter writing.  So far I have only written to my three children, but it will give them something they can keep, read in the future and even pass down.  It takes a little effort to get started but, just do it, I said, and I did.  I may even start sending birthday letters. 

It is finally raining - a nice slow but heavy rainfall.  The bushes and trees are smiling even in the moonlight.
/Deb

3 comments:

Julia said...

It's strange as we age that we want to do so many things as we see the sand of time slipping through our fingers and everything suddenly takes on a measure of urgency. I know exactly what you mean by wanting to write a book and not remembering exactly where you left off.
I have over 20 some hard cover journals written cover to cover The story is all there but the only way I could remember the highlights of my story is that every two weeks I reread my journal and wrote down all the highlights in a summery and called it Review. All my journals have reviews like chapters. My book is still not written but my story is all written.

Good luck with writing your book. JB

KathyB. said...

I love to write and read hand written letters. Facebook and e-mails don't even begin to compare with the precious handwritten letter, and I have come to believe they ( handwritten letters) take less time than "modern conveniences" that suck up our time and leave us sharing banalities we would not choose to fill a handwritten letter, but then again...I could be very wrong!

Your rug sounds like it is coming along quickly, I look forward to seeing pictures of it.

I am looking forward also to some "down" time to accomplish my handwork. Oh for a rainy day to stay HOME!

I was reading 2 different blogs just a couple of years ago and enjoying them very much when the blog authors had to take their blogs off-line because a publisher wanted to publish their stories...you can begin your book as a blog and see what develops. If nothing else, you are sharing your writing with others.

Deb said...

You know Kathy, I thought about a book-blog, and would love the feedback, edits, ideas, etc. from people, but at the same time, I'm afraid somebody will steal the idea and actually make a publishable book. I'll have to think about it. I could share it through email to a few of the people I talk with online that would be interested. We'll see.
I've only got about 30 minutes left to work on my rug! Will take photos tonight and post.