Weather Widget

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Starting another Rug

Saturday, 9/11/10:
Yesterday I went to the fabric store and bought almost 20 yards of fabric, shades of tan and brownish cotton.  They only had around 19 yards on two bolts.  Last night I rested, but thought about what I wanted to make.  I need to continue working on my abstract wool piece, but the locker hooking keeps calling my attention!  So, when I got up this morning, had my coffee, I looked at my canvas sizes and decided instead of making a large 36x60 like my previous one, I would do half that size.  It took about an hour to sew the cotton cord around the entire folded canvas.  Now I'm trying to decide whether to use cotton yarn (like I did before) or the fabric itself to do the edging. 

But duties call first.  I must go to the grocery store, and do a couple of other errands. Today it is only in the 70's, very nice, but it may rain a little. Tomorrow is supposed to be rainy. So, first things first, then I can enjoy hooking the day away! 

Just want to say thanks for your comments. It's nice to stay in touch.  
/Deb

6 comments:

Julia said...

Wow Deb, you sure don't waste time like me. I'm still deciding in my head what I want to put on my childhood memories rug but nothing concrete. I have so many interruptions and so many duties that I have to juggle my time. And I waste a lot on RHD but I like to visit everyone. JB

Kim said...

Hi Deb,
I am the same way. Trying to get all the chores taken care of early so I can relax for the rest of the day. I am torn between starting hooking a new piece or finishing the edges and backing of my current project.

KathyB. said...

You sound like me, I start a rug and then as I work on it, my mind is busy thinking about my next project. I have a file folder full of ideas to incorporate on future locker-hooked rugs~ Looking forward to seeing your progress, plus, it inspires me to get going on my own, thanks.

Wendie Scott Davis said...

Hi there - thanks for the nice comment on the kayak picture. It is in inches 5 x 10 and believe it or not, mostly 6 and 8 cut (I used strips already cut). I did use the smaller ones in the face, but pretty large everywhere else. That way it not only goes quickly, but you can't get too fiddly about all the little details.

Good luck with your next project. My head is always thinking up things too - and I always have too many on the go at once. Variety is definitely the spice of my life.

Wendie

Julia said...

Hi Deb, I was surprised at the amount of fabric yardage it takes to make a locker hooked rug of the size you mentioned. It could get pricey if you buy that much cotton unless it's on sale.

Thanks for leaving a hint on my blog. I had that instruction in my first draft every time I had to scroll but I thought that it added so many steps I might scare some away, lol. It's a basic step but I'll put it on.
One thing also I noticed is that not everyone's blog is set up exactly the same. JB

Debra said...

I know what you mean about the locker hooking drawing you. It is so meditative. Can't wait to see what you are creating.