Weather Widget

Friday, March 11, 2011

Thankful for early warnings

When I turned on the TV this a.m. to see what the day's weather might be, I saw a ticker across the bottom that said Hawaii under Tsunami warning. My son and his wife and two kids live in Ewa on Oahu Island. I got on my computer Skype - just in case, sent him a message to call me. Shortly my phone rang but it was my dad who had seen the TV news. Even though it wa 1:00 a.m. in Hawaii, I decided to call my son. They were definiately awake and preparing to evacuate to higher ground; they live very close to the ocean. He said there had been warning sirens sounding since about 9:00 last night. I will watch the news on my computer today and I will be very happy when this is all over. My son and his family are due to move back to Colorado at the end of this month!


This week I have started reading a new series by Lee Child, the Jack Reacher series. I like the way he writes. He keeps my interest. So, I guess I have taken the week off from my creative hobbies.

UPDATE 1:15 p.m. EST - Jeff, my son, called me just now and let me know they have received the "all clear" in Ewa Hawaii. Apparently, everything is fine. I am very thankful.

until next time/deb

1 comment:

Julia said...

Deb, I'm so glad that your son and his family are safe. It's amazing how small the world is after all. My daughter stayed in Japan while in University and earthquakes has always been on my mind while she was there. Now she's in Ottawa.

It's good to take a break from working so hard once in a while just to enjoy life's simple pleasures.

Take care Deb. JB